Senior Systems Engineer/Analyst
Position: Senior Systems Engineer/Analyst
Location : IRD Corporate Office 702-43rd Street East Saskatoon, SK
Who we are
IRD is an Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) company and a world leader in the highway traffic management and in-vehicle systems solutions industry, specializing in traffic data collection, weight enforcement, commercial vehicle operations, toll, and safety. Over the past 35 years, IRD has diversified both from a markets and geographical perspective. IRD Systems are designed and built by a multidisciplinary, customer-focused team which fuses core IRD technology with integrated computing and communications technologies.
What does it mean to be a Project Engineering Specialist?
The Senior Systems Engineer/Analyst is responsible for developing and enhancing system solutions for IRD Intelligent Transportations Systems (ITS) and providing support for the development of IRD systems.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary development team (project engineering, software development, embedded software development, electronic hardware design and mechanical design) and other stakeholders to design and develop system architectures to meet current and future demands of the Intelligent Transportation Systems market
- Contribute to the overall system architecture and design of IRD’s distributed automation and control systems for measuring, monitoring and tracking commercial vehicles
- Define and develop suitable data interfaces and protocols between subsystems to achieve required functionality and meet performance goals of the system architecture
- Provide technical design and direction on complex systems development activities including hardware, software, database and network components, designing for interoperability and integration of these systems
- Work closely with the engineering team to develop systems that integrate IRD equipment, OEM vendor equipment and third party operated systems
- Work closely with external customers, consultants, engineers and contractors in the development of system functional requirements
- Ensure design documentation developed for systems is accurate and complete, and is maintained as the state of development progresses
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of IRD systems, components and products and their application in the Intelligent Transportation Systems field
- Mentor junior team members
- Support the IRD Sales team in preparation of bids and proposals including analyzing customer specifications to identify and document system requirements to determine features that are supported with existing system capabilities and features to be delivered by new development
- Contribute to the development and improvement of IRD procedures, processes and best practices
What do we look for?
- Experience with the design and integration of complex systems involving electrical, electronic and mechanical sub-systems, real-time data communications, user interfaces and system control software
- Experience with complex networking including Ethernet, TCP/IP, port mapping, VPNs, tunneling, and network and computer security practices
- Experience with integrating and automating components in complex systems
- Knowledge of data communication protocols
- Experience with Linux, MS Windows operating systems and near Real Time Systems
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Self-starter with the ability to work well independently and within a team environment
- Be a cooperative problem solver with logical decision making abilities
- Experience with software development processes and testing would be an asset
- Knowledge of Automation and distributed control systems would be an asset
- Project management experience would be an asset
- Bachelor of Science Degree, preferably in Computer Science or an Engineering Discipline such as Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Industrial Engineering or a certificate in Electronic Systems Engineering Technology
- At least five years of relevant experience
- Experience in a multi-disciplinary team environment
IRD is an Equal Opportunity Employer.