Senior Project Manager
Senior Technical Project Manager
Receives Direction From: Director, Project and Field Services
IRD is an Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) company and a world leader in the highway traffic management and in-vehicle systems solutions industry, specializing in traffic data collection, weight enforcement, commercial vehicle operations, toll, and safety. Over the past 35 years, IRD has diversified both from a market and geographical perspective. IRD Systems are designed and built by a multidisciplinary, customer-focused team which fuses core IRD technology with integrated computing and communications technologies.
As a leader in this field of expertise, a Senior Project Manager is responsible for planning, coordinating, facilitating and reporting on all tasks associated with delivering critical, complex, or otherwise significant projects. Such projects include awards where IRD is considered Prime, where significant financial, technical, or schedule risk is apparent, or where the successful outcome is deemed by the Executive to be critically and strategically important. By interfacing with functional groups including Sales and Marketing, Engineering, Production, Installation, Finance, and Service, the Senior Project Manager shall be responsible for satisfactory completion of all project facets including design, procurement, subcontract management, manufacture, delivery, installation, acceptance, and training. In addition to ensuring the timely delivery of a quality product (or system) on schedule and on budget, the Senior Project Manager will mentor other Project Managers and Project Controllers/Coordinators, often leading initiatives associated with training, efficiency improvements, and/or individual professional growth.
- Plan and manage the design and installation of intelligent transportation projects
- Prepare detailed project updates and manage work plans, budgets and schedules from proposal through to commissioning and acceptance
- Develop Project Plans and schedules in consultation with Engineering, Production, and Field Support leads.
- Maintain IRD’s management information system by providing initial budget information to project accounting, accurate revenue and cost forecasts and by re-forecasting projects in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Facilitate meetings with project team members and management, wherein scope, budget, schedule, resources and risks are discussed
- Remain in daily contact with the Project Team members through the respective phases of the project to ensure smooth progress and timely resolution to any project performance issues.
- Maintain open and continual communication with the customer to report current project progress and manage their expectations appropriately.
- Proficient at handling complex technical development concepts for integrations into project plan development schedules.
- Experience and/or understanding of software development processes and ability to interpret these for other team members.
- Ability to coordinate complex technical tasks with manageable work breakdown structures for team member execution.
- Provide updates to management at scheduled project review meetings
- Ensure proper staff is coordinated and present for installations, systems testing and acceptance and training phases for the project.
- Develop training plans as required.
- Organize a project post mortem to discuss: costs, profits, issues, NCR’s and any other lessons learned that can be applied to future projects.
- Mentor peers in Project Management Best Practices
- Develop/enhance procedures to maximize departmental efficiencies
- Lead initiatives to build team competence, morale, and growth
- Provide guidance to peers in the absence of direct management availability
- Related technical knowledge, project management experience, and leadership skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Practical knowledge of contract administration, scheduling and Project Financial reporting
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong Leadership and mentorship capabilities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (preferably Civil or Electrical) or a post-secondary technical diploma (A.Sc.T.)
- 10 years related experience managing projects as described in the Job Purpose above
- A Professional Project Manager (PMP) Designation an asset
Please indicate position ‘OP-STPM0419’ in your cover letter and subject line.